Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
South Malaysia
Administrator
Administrator
South Malaysia

WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration" Empty
PostSubject: WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration"   WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration" EmptyWed 29 Jul 2009 - 15:11

Repeal "Right of Emigration"
A proposal to repeal a previously passed resolution

Category: Repeal

Resolution: GA#46

Proposed by: Sionis Prioratus

Description: WA General Assembly Resolution #46: Right of Emigration (Category: Human Rights; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: THE PEOPLES OF THE WORLD ASSEMBLED,

FULLY ACKNOWLEDGING "Right to Emigration" has a magnanimous spirit and that the vast majority of the Ambassadors and Delegates who voted for "Right to Emigration" did so for magnanimous reasons,

ACKNOWLEDGING that "pursuit of ambition, opportunity or refuge" or "escape from war, persecution or injustice" are almost without exception noble objectives,

BUT NEVERTHELESS ACUTELY AWARE no amount of goodwill can by itself repair the appalling flaws of a severely handicapped text,

SADLY NOTING Resolution #46 says, in relevant part (emphasis added):

"2. PERMITS member states to waive Section 1 **only** if any of the following conditions are true:
a) The person is either under penal servitude or undergoing (civil or criminal) legal proceedings;
b) The person **holds certain convictions** directly linking to sexual offences;
c) The person is below the age of maturity (as defined in their country of residence) and lacks the consent of their legal parents or guardians;
d) The person is either **militarily interned during conflict** or **legally mandated** to remain in the current country of residence following a **judicial ruling** or;
e) The person is suspected of espionage or intention to carry out terrorist acts by emigrating."

APPALLED that Resolution #46 has a very limited and fixed number of "waivers", thus for all practical purposes acting as a legal straitjacket, among other things PROHIBITING and/or CONFLICTING with national/international laws that may be in force that may require quarantine for catastrophic situations such as:

1) The epidemic outbreak of a deadly disease,
2) The containment of persons that carry massive amounts of radioactive elements due to nuclear fallout.

NOTING "conviction" can be conveniently interpreted as "a strong persuasion or belief",

SHOCKED that subsection 2.b) allows any Nation to hold indefinitely persons – against their will – within said Nation’s borders, on the sole basis of saying a person HOLDS CERTAIN "CONVICTIONS" without any need to show any proof (much less trials), making it all too easy to brand any person as a sexual pervert. This is an outrageous violation of national/international guarantees of due process and free speech that may be in force,

APPALLED that subsection 2.c) leaves open the possibility that in a war-torn Nation, able legal minors left without parents nor guardians, could be forced to stay in said Nation, even if by some reason, those legal minors could want and are able to pursue a better life in another Nation,

SHOCKED that subsection 2.d) allows any Nation to arbitrarily create/forge “conflicts” (which are not defined anywhere) and equally arbitrary “military intern[ments]” for anyone, effectively rendering this Resolution moot; ALSO, in 2.d) the rules and requisites for “legal mandate[s]” and “judicial ruling[s]” are not defined anywhere, essentially depriving individuals of the “right to emigration” simply by means of an arbitrary, unappealable and unjust “judicial ruling”,

THEREFORE, THE WORLD ASSEMBLY REPEALS Resolution #46, urging a wholesome, just, well-thought and well-written statute concerning emigration be drafted with all due diligence.

Voting Ends: in 2 days, 21 hours

Sorry for the lateness but the wireless part of our router went out and sadly my desktop is completely made for a network and no 56K and my netbook is wireless. So I'll be having to work around other ppls using the cpu I am on currently.

You no the deal: (for, against, abstain)
Back to top Go down
http://hyrule.org
tallsville
Nation
Nation

PostSubject: Re: WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration"   WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration" EmptyWed 29 Jul 2009 - 15:59

I did not ever see the actthis is repealing, I say ABSTAIN.
Back to top Go down
Metz
Minister of Immigration
Minister of Immigration
Metz

PostSubject: Re: WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration"   WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration" EmptyWed 29 Jul 2009 - 16:57

I dont like how is it written, nor do they show the entire act that it is repealing, only sections, so I will say NO....
Back to top Go down
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=rhymetzia
Kritschboilek
Nation
Nation
Kritschboilek

PostSubject: Re: WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration"   WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration" EmptyThu 30 Jul 2009 - 17:43

This is what I'd do to the WA:
WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration" Clown_Pie_Band_Of_Brothers
Back to top Go down
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=kritschboilek
South Malaysia
Administrator
Administrator
South Malaysia

PostSubject: Re: WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration"   WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration" EmptyFri 31 Jul 2009 - 22:50

Looks like we vote no.

2 No; 1 Abstain
Back to top Go down
http://hyrule.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration"   WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration" Empty

Back to top Go down

WA Voting: Repeal "Right of Emigration"
Page 1 of 1